Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Whirlwind weekend in St. John's and New York

I had another pairing that took me all over the place last weekend. I spent my first of 3 layovers in Calgary. I got to the hotel around 3pm, but since my sleep patterns were screwed up I didn't want to crawl into bed right away. I walked around and went shopping, picking up a couple seasons of the X-Files at HMV for $20 each and found the first season of The Lone Gunman too. Walking back to my hotel I was so tired that my eyes were starting to black out on me - not a good sign. After a quick bite to eat I crashed into bed and woke up at something ridiculous like 5am for our check-out.

Day 2 was completely unproductive. Our original flight was canceled so we flew back to Toronto - I watched 21 and slept some more; and then we flew to St. John's. The whole day was just riding on planes, but not working! In Newfoundland I went out with my crew and the crew that had brought us in. We walked around and explored downtown a bit and had dinner on George Street. It was really nice that all of us were able to go out - it doesn't happen often. I found a cool shop in St. John's that sells travel stuff - cute things like what they have on Flight 001. I bought a pair of travel chopsticks (the same ones that are on thinkgeek.com) and a travel pepper grinder.

Our next day was yet another very early morning and we ended up in New York by the early afternoon. My crew-mate Laura and I took a cab into Manhattan and wandered along Fifth Avenue doing some shopping here and there, and then had our nails done down on Third.

It was so nice to have time to actually shop in New York, since the last time I was there was in 2004 and we had an hour to run around before everything closed (it was a Sunday afternoon). I had a great time in St. John's and New York and I can't wait to go back and explore those cities some more!

I've been finishing up my marathon of the X-Files so that hopefully I'll be caught up for the movie release this Friday. Kevin and I are taking the kittens to be neutered tomorrow, and then popping downtown to watch Batman on IMAX at the Paramount (oops! I mean the ScotiaBank whatever....) I've also had this nostalgic feeling for watching the old Sherlock Holmes series staring Jeremy Brett, so I've got those on my computer to watch now too. I've got lots of stuff to keep me busy this week.

  Design © Laura Kishimoto 2004