Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Köln (Part II) and Stuttgart, Germany

So I worked a very laid-back pairing to San Francisco for the Labour Day long weekend. I ended up getting a pedicure and doing some shopping down there. It was productive, but restful if that makes any sense. ^__~"

The day after I left again for Frankfurt and was back in Köln in no time. It really was like I never left - JP had been away most of the weekend and everything was just as I'd left it. That evening we went over to Daniel's residence and we had an evening of wine, cheese and conversation.

Friday morning we took the train to Stuttgart to catch the end of the European Music Festival. JP was singing in the final concert and I was more than happy to come along, hear some good music and see some old friends again. I think my job has opened my eyes to seeing cities that I visit from a new perspective and I'd forgotten how beautiful Stuttgart is. My previous summers there were with the attitude of a working singer and aside from lots of shopping and some light sightseeing there is a lot the city that I had never seen. After JP's afternoon rehearsal (into which he made a noisy and fashionable late entrance) we walked around, had awesome Schnitzel and Käsespätzle for dinner and then met up with his friend Adrian for drinks. While we were walking on the street we ran into Robin E. and his reaction to seeing me totally made the trip worthwhile! He was so shocked, surprised and totally caught off guard. I had an unspeakable amount of beer that night @__@" Who ever thought that I would be a beer drinker?

Saturday morning was a bit ugly. JP had a migraine from hell and was a mess, so I went out and got stuff to make him... not messy. When he was finally ready to face the world we went out for cake and coffee. He had an afternoon rehearsal so I went shopping. It was a bit fruitless - mostly because I really didn't need anything. In the evening I sat in the lecture concert in the Beethovensaal. We had a quiet night in and watched P.S., I Love You on his laptop while eating junk food.

Sunday morning we were woken up early by clanging church bells. Since we were up anyways we went for a walk in the park behind the Schlossplatz, sat around and had ice cream. Another very lazy morning :) In the evening I went to hear the final concert of the music festival. I had an amazing seat, and ended up sitting next to the new head of the Bachakademie. The concert was fantastic; I had gotten a taste at the lecture concert but it was so much more powerful to hear the entire works. After the concert we went to the Hospitalhof for the final party. It was an odd feeling being there without the other members of FES, but I caught up a bit with some old friends: Theresa, Ulrich, Andreas, Tobias and of course it was like being with family to see the staff again, particularly Birgit, Tobias and Hollie.

JP took an earlier train back to Köln because he had to get to work, but I took the slower train that followed the Rhine river before making its way. The ride was very scenic and beautiful. There are lots of of castles dotting the hills along the length of the river.

My remaining days in Köln were very laid back. Lots of grocery shopping, cooking, wine-drinking and eventually we did make that apple pie :) While we were out shopping for pie ingredients JP found Federweizen (unfinished white wine) at the grocery store and bought a couple of bottles. It is SO amazingly good! This trip made me realize that while I may not be amazing at it, I really do enjoy cooking when I have the time, resources and a good space to work in. JP has an awesome little kitchen and it was definitely a plus to have several grocery stores just steps away when I needed something.

I had a great trip - even if it was interrupted by "layovers" in Toronto and San Fran, hehe. I have a new-found respect for beer, and I totally want a set of electric salt and pepper mills now and a J.A. Henkels paring knife.

As I am writing this blog entry I am eating homemade Japanese curry, enjoying a glass of white Zinfandel and listening to the new album from New Kids on the Block. It's amazing to think that I will be seeing them live on Friday - it brings back memories of the "Magic Summer" back in 1990. Whoever thought it.

And I met Andreas Scholl this summer. Truly I am very happy.

  Design © Laura Kishimoto 2004